Saturday, July 14, 2012

Accepting Reliable Unreliability

I'd like to think I'm a pretty patient guy who does everything possible to understand why people do what they do, and because of that, I've been able to gain insights and knowledge I never would've found if I kept flipped my lid at the drop of a hat; when it comes to working with people on projects and otherwise relying on them for something I need, however, that patience is immediately and constantly put through the ringer. If I'm waiting for a ride somewhere and they say they'll be there at 4PM, I expect them to be there at 4PM, not 4:01, not 4:10, not 4:30, and most certainly not 5PM; the later they are on their promise, the more my anger bubbles under the surface, more so when they altogether fail to deliver on their promise.

I can't really say I can get down with people who can't or won't deliver, no matter who they are.

In all honesty, though, I'm not exactly Mr. All Clutch All The Time, and if it isn't immediately pressing, it doesn't become that much of an issue, sometimes even slipping my mind completely and leading me to move on with my day. I imagine that those expecting me to deliver get as pissed off as I do when it doesn't happen, so whenever I'm counted on to, I do whatever my resources allow to ensure that it either happens or goes above and beyond what they asked, as I ask of those I work with. Admittedly, I have rather high standards for the people I work with and befriend, and as they've lead me to come upon quality people and craft quality products, so have they lead me to massive disappointment when they're not met.

In fact, many I've approached about the subject suggest that I'll lead a happier and less stressful life if I just lower the bar.

I can certainly see the validity behind that notion, but I have trouble with considering lowering the standards that've gotten me so much in my life and have brought so much richness to how I do things everyday. They do say that if ain't broke, don't fix it, but I know that I can do so much more and be so much more than what I am today if I'm willing to tinker with my routine and let uncertainty and potential failure become a greater part of my everyday life, as even the safest existence can be ended by one slip or one misfortune. Does that mean I must accept not hearing from people I work with for days at a time, though? Does that mean I must accept people being gravely late for an appointment or not showing up at all? Does that mean I must accept that things could be far from what I expect them to be, whether that's for worse or for better?

I guess that means I must accept that people aren't robots, but people, with their own lives, foibles and ways of doing things

I suspect that, even if my current perception deems it asinine, the more I accept this fact, the more I'll find success and friendship, no matter how long I must live on the edge of a knife to make it happen. I know I wouldn't want to work with someone to treated me like shit every time I didn't meet some vaguely defined mark, and going easier on the throttle will probably make me a better overall workmate, which in turn will produce a better end product. If nothing else, I'll probably have a few more years with my hair and youthful features the more I let the little stuff go and let people do as they do, only cracking the whip when there's something crucial on the line. That doesn't mean I won't get pissed off when aren't as timely in their responses or don't live up to their end of the bargain-I've got more than enough rage for everybody who does that, but it does mean that I'll be able to pick up the slack whenever they do drop the ball and get things done.

Just because they fail to do something doesn't mean the whole damn thing should fail because of it, and come hell or high water, I'll make sure it doesn't

No comments:

Post a Comment