Thursday, December 8, 2011

Could It Have Been an Echo



I saw this recently and thought a lot about what the person behind the original poem was trying to say. After a bit of work and editing, I created my own translation. Here it is, along with the original poem in it's original language, for those curious


こだまでしょうか[Kodama deshou ka]
(Could It Have Been an Echo?)

「遊ぼう」っていうと ['Asobou' tte iu to]
「遊ぼう」っていう。['Asobou' tte iu]
 (If you say 'Let's play'
  I say 'Let's Play')

「ばか」っていうと ['Baka' tte iu to]
「ばか」っていう。['Baka' tte iu]
 (If you say 'You're dumb'
  I say 'You're Dumb')

「もう遊ばない」っていうと ['Mou asobanai' tte iu to]
「遊ばない」っていう。 ['Asobanai' tte iu]
 (If you say 'I'm not playing no more'
  I say 'I'm not playing')

そうして、あとで [Soushite, Ato de]
さみしくなって、 [Samishikunatte,]
 (And then, after that
  I get all lonely)

「ごめんね」っていうと ['Gomen ne' tte iu to]
「ごめんね」っていう。['Gomen ne' tte iu]
 (Then, if I say 'I'm sorry'
  you say 'I'm sorry')

こだまでしょうか、[Kodama deshou ka]
いいえ、だれでも。[Iie, daredemo]
 (Could it have been an echo?
  Nuh-uh, it was all of us)
-Misuzu Kaneko

*language note:  さみしく[samishiku] is likely the author's intended mispronunciation of さびしい[sabishii], the word for being lonely

No comments:

Post a Comment